Barley is high in fibre, great source of Iron, folate and Magnesium. It helps in lowering cholesterol as well. Prepare this delicious grain in a healthy vegetarian soup and reap its benefits.
For more tasty recipes, please
Our facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/EatEastIndian
Follow us on twitter: https://twitter.com/EatEastIndian
Our Blog: http://eateastindian.com/
Presoaking Barley reduces the cooking time. You can use any vegetables of your choice in this recipe but Carrots, cabbage, Broccoli, beans, mushrooms and cauliflower work really well with Barley. You can adjust the seasoning as per your liking too.
1 Cup Barley
4 Cups of Water
(For unsoaked Barley you can use 5-6 cups of water)
2-3 cups of various veggies
2 cloves of garlic
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper powder
1/2 tsp Turmeric
1/4 tsp Red chilli pwd
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
1/4 tsp mustard and fennel seeds
2-3 tbsp oil for cooking
1. Heat Oil in a pot and fry garlic.
2. Add vegetables and salt, turmeric, red chilli pwd and fry for 3 mins.
3. Add barley. Mix well and add water.
4. Bring water to boil on high heat then lower the heat and let Barley simmer until done.
(15-20 mins for 1 cup of Pearl Barley presoaked for an hour. about 30-40 mins for unsoaked and other varieties)
5. In another pan, heat oil and add cumin, mustard and fennel seeds. Let them sizzle for a min and then add on to the soup.
Garnish with Cilantro and Serve warm.